Friday, January 4, 2013

My Favorite Leading Ladies on Television

It's Friday, so I thought to do a fun post! I hope you think it's fun too. So, I used to watch a lot of T.V. - some might argue that I still do, but what do they know? - and over the years, there are/were some T.V. show leading ladies that I really like(d) for different reasons. Some are/were very girly, some very badHass, and some both girly and badHass! Here's my list of my favorite leading ladies on T.V. and why they're my favorites.

SIDNEY BRISTOW

I loved Sidney Bristow. I loved her because she was a loving daughter and friend and she could go from that to being the best secret agent anyone could ask for. She could also speak several languages and do some fancy stuff with her arms and feet especially when she would kill someone for the greater good.  I used to schedule social activities just to be home to watch Alias because I wanted to see what kick-ass move she'd use and to watch her do her work in her various disguises, and do it well. She was the main reason Alias was my favorite show at one point (Bradley Cooper as Sidney's close friend also helped).

CARRIE BRADSHAW


What was there not to love about Carrie? Carrie Bradshaw was beautiful, smart, witty, loyal, fashionable and she believed in love! I didn't watch the show Sex and the City when it aired on HBO and one of my friends used to yap and yap about Carrie. A few years later, I rented the first season, and I fell in love. I loved, loved, loved Carrie's style and the fact that she was funny and loyal to her friends and loved ones. She was also imperfect and she owned it. Like when she did that runway show and fell in front of everyone there. Carrie got up and kept strutting. She was there to help nurse Mr. Big back to health when he had a heart attack even after Mr. Big had been shitty to her for years. She also had the courage to walk away from Aidan (didn't like that!) after he proposed because she didn't really love him as she thought she should. I could go on and on about Carrie but I'll stop here. 


OLIVIA POPE
If you want things done and done well, Olivia Pope is your girl. She's the ultimate fixer. If your husband was a well known and respected preacher that died on top of another woman and you want it to look like he died in his sleep, you call Olivia. If you're a victim of domestic violence and you want to catwalk out of your marriage without fear of violence from your abusive husband, you call Olivia. If you want to talk Reagan, Nixon, or Clinton, you can count on an enlightening conversation with Olivia. She's also loyal to her friends and loved ones and would go above and beyond for them. Additionally, she's a super smart, articulate attorney who does her job fearlessly and does it all with a drool-worthy wardrobe. 


JOAN CLAYTON




Goofy? Check. BadHass wardrobe? Check. Intelligent? Check. Bootylicious? Check. Is this where I say no homo? Anyways, Joan Clayton was something. It seemed like everyday, all Joan wanted to do was get married but I didn't find her annoying. I liked Joan because I could relate to her in other ways. She was not a perfect girl, she had her ups and downs but she tried to learn from her mistakes and find herself in the process. She also had the courage to walk away from her well paid job as an attorney to do something that she really loved. One of the things her friends hated about her was her need to celebrate every holiday. But that's one of the many reasons I liked her. She was pretty interesting.

JESSICA PEARSON


Another lawyer. On Suits Jessica Pearson is so badHass, it's scary. She has the super smart, dapper and alpha male attorney, Harvey Specter, right where she needs him. She saw past the conniving former managing partner's schemes. She unapologetically driven and always proves why she's deserves to sit at the table with the big dogs. I discovered Jessica Pearson on the second season of Suits so it hasn't been long since I got acquainted with her but I can't wait to see much more of her when Season two resumes on January 17. 


Honorable Mentions: Teri Joseph (Soul Food), Brooke Davis (One Tree Hill), and Rory Gilmore (Gilmore Girls).


Do you see any of your favorites on this list? Who are your favorites? Please share. 



3 comments: