Saturday, October 13, 2012

This. Is. The. Remix.

Like I said, this is the remixwind! See what I did? No? Okay let's move right along :) As much as I'd like to blog everyday, I cannot because there aren't enough hours in the day to blog and do my 8 to 5 and be all that I am or not. However, I have things to say, so instead of not blogging about those topics I would have blogged about during the week, I decided to blog about some of those topics during the weekend. These are the top five topics I was going to blog about this week but didn't. Let's remixwind!

#5 - Steel Magnolias Remake

Photo Credit: Annette Brown
I decided to watch the Steel Magnolias remake on the Lifetime Network this past Sunday because I knew Nigerian American actress, Adepero Oduye was part of the all black cast. I loved it! The movie is about six women and their friendship with each other as they go through different stages of their lives - the good, the bad, tragedies and triumphs.  I thought the movie was well-made but I was most impressed by the acting. I thought Condola Rashad did a phenomenal job. She stood out in the movie with well known heavyweights that have won and been nominated for countless prestigious awards. I say she has a very bright future. Of course, the beautiful Adepero Oduye did an excellent job too. Our girl is not a one hit wonder. She proved that, and definitely looked good next to Lance Gross, who played her love interest in the movie. I can't wait to see more of what she has to offer. I also thought Queen Latifah (who also produced the movie) delivered one of the best performances of her career and I finally believe the hype about Alfre Woodard.

By the way, the movie also broke some of Lifetime's viewership records! Of the 6.5 million viewers that tuned in to watch the movie, 2.5M were young adult women (25-54), the most young viewership the network has received in its history. I want to see more movies like this for sure. If you missed it, you can watch an encore presentation tonight on Lifetime at 8/7c. Did anyone else see the movie? What did you think?


#4 - Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan's Cutie!


Legendary Bollywood Actor, Amitabh Bachchan turned 70 on October 11, 2012 and there was a birthday bash held in his honor. His entire family was there to celebrate with him including his 11-month-old grand daughter and cutie pie, Aaradhya. Aaradhya is the first daughter of one of the most beautiful actresses in the world, Aishwarya Rai and her tall and handsome hubby, Abhishek. Since her birth, her face has been shielded from the public but was finally caught by guests at the birthday bash and posted on twitter and other forums. I wonder if she has her mother's green-blue eyes. You can check out the rest of the pictures from the bash here.


#3 - Scandal goes to the UK!



This one is for all the readers in the UK that have read about Scandal on this blog but have no clue what I yap about. I am here to tell you to fret not! Scandal is coming to you and you will finally see why I am slightly obssessed with the show. According to Patrick Munn of TVwise.co.uk, Channel 4 has closed a deal with Disney Media Distribution to acquire the exclusive first run UK broadcast rights to Scandal for its More4 channel and the first season of the show (with seven episodes) will premiere on that channel sometime this year. So be on the lookout! We need more gladiators (aka Scandal fans). Any new gladiators in the house?




#2 - Word to Bow Wow

On October 1, 2012, Bow Wow was announced as one of the four new hosts of 106 & Park and  some people had a lot to say about that. Some said it was a backward move in his career, others made it known that he took the job because he is going through some financial difficulties. My response to all of that is a quote. Yes, my response matters. :)

Quote: Any (legit) job is better than no job, but any man is not better than no man.

The first part of the quote is for Bow Wow. I think I read this quote in a magazine. I can't remember which one. At the end of the day Bow Wow does not have to answer to anyone but himself. He knows his truth and if he is indeed broke as they're saying, I bet not of one the people criticizing him have donated a penny to him. Anyways, I saw him host the show yesterday and I think he's doing a good job. He's not Mr. 106 & Park for nothing. Keep your head up, Bow!

Do you think Bow Wow reads my blog? Do not trouble yourself with posting your response to this question. Thanks. :D

 

#1 - Vice Presidential Debate

The Vice Presidential Debate took place on Thursday, October 11 at Centre College, Danville, Kentucky and I am pleased I watched it. It was everything I look for in a debate. First, I liked that each Vice Presidential Candidate, Joe Biden and Paul Ryan outlined some of their Party's plans for the United States and addressed some of our concerns. Secondly, I thought the moderator, Martha Raddatz did a great job of making sure each VP candidate did not stray too far from answering her questions and did not allow them to talk over her. Thirdly, I thought the experienced and knowledgeable candidate won that debate. Finally, I was entertained. Paul Ryan came to continue where Mitt Romney stopped and swung at Joe Biden saying at some point, "The VP knows that words don't always come out your mouth the right way," basically taking a hit at Joe Biden for some of his Bidenisms.  Chai! Biden responded by knocking Paul Ryan out for some of the Malarkey that escaped from his lips. He laughed at him, rolled his eyes, side-eyed him, compared him to Sarah Palin, and left Paul Ryan super thirsty.  He told the world about the letters Paul Ryan sent to him asking for the Stimulus money that him and Willard Mitt Romney later criticized. After exposing Paul Ryan, and telling us of the letters, he told Paul Ryan "by the way, any letter you send me, I'll entertain." Eveeeeeeel and effective. I say effective because all he was trying to do was throw Paul Ryan off and make him very uncomfortable and he succeeded. Paul Ryan sat there like a student who was in trouble for not doing his home work. Although, I think he managed to make some points of his own, Biden made it seem like we shouldn't take anything Paul Ryan said seriously.

Of course, some media outlets had their own thoughts and said Paul Ryan acted presidential while Joe Biden acted less presidential. Ok. Last week, when President Obama "had a bad night" and Gov. Romney was aggressive and outspoken, they said Mitt Romney won that debate, right? Interesting. Anyhoo, I will blog about the first presidential debate next week. Watch this space.



Hope you all are having a great weekend. Thank you for reading!



2 comments:

  1. You are the first person I have come across who gave the steel magnolias remake a good review. It's still sitting in my dvr, so no reviews yet.

    I thought Aishwaryi had twins?

    VP debate was great. I don't know if Paul Ryan had some great points. I still thought they were vague and the few points he made didn't seem to be factual, so meh...let's not talk about his numerous tales by moonlight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Steel Magnolias was cute. I would have liked it better if they focused a little bit more on the other characters though but I still liked it, especially the acting.

    The media speculated that Ash was pregnant with twins but her father in law confirmed that it wasn't true. No twins.

    Per Paul Ryan, I agree with you. He made some points but they weren't GREAT points.

    ReplyDelete