Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Second Presidential Debate
The second Presidential Debate in the United States will take place today. Again, it will be broadcast on all major television networks at 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time. CNN's Candy Crowley will be the moderator of the debate which will be held at Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY.
I have a feeling the ratings will be huge because a lot more people will be interested to see whether or not Mitt Romney will continue where he left off or if President Obama will come out swinging. I say Mitt Romney will not look like the star this time. I think one of the reasons a lot of people thought Mitt Romney won the last debate was because nobody thought Romney could be as aggressive as he was the last time. At least I didn't expect it. Prior to the first Presidential Debate, I did not think Mitt Romney had it in him to beat President Obama in any debate. In fact, I thought Mitt Romney was acting and looking like he did not want to be President. Like, he realized that he got in over his head. I suspect a lot more people felt the same way. So, when Mitt Romney was aggresive and talking over the moderator and looking alive, people said he won the debate.
I did not think Mitt Romney won though. I thought President Obama could have done better. Four years ago, when Obama debated Hilary Clinton, Joe Biden, and later John McCain I noticed that President Obama would look down whenever they got under his skin. I thought he did that to hide his anger. He did that a lot when he debated Mitt Romney and nodded a lot and smiled a lot and I didn't like it so much. The nodding to me looked like he was agreeing with Romney sometimes (even though I know better). Like a lot of other people, I was wondering why he did not hit Romney with that 47% comment that was caught on tape at a Republican fund raising event, and other questionable comments Romney has made since he started his campaign. I thought, "will the real President Obama please stand up?"
I also thought President Obama's performance was strategic. I believed that theory a lot more after Joe Biden's performance. Let's face it, there is only so much the President can get away with. Imagine if President Obama went out there acting like Biden did. Just imagine the headlines. Imagine if President Obama waxed eloquent and talked about all the great things he has done and planned to do and the jobs numbers came out looking really bad a few days later. That would have given Mitt Romney a lot more ammo for the second debate.
One can argue too that maybe the Obama camp just underestimated Romney and got a major surprise. Who knows?
Whatever the case, we shall see how it goes tonight. I will be watching, God willing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment