Tuesday, September 4, 2012

You will be missed




I remember going to one of my favorite internet gossip sites last week to get my daily dose of celebrity gossip (I told you it’s a disease) and came across a post about Chris Lighty. The most I got from the post was that Chris Lighty was a Hip Hop Industry Executive. Naturally, I wondered who he was, because his name didn't ring a bell and was determined to find out more about him. I returned to the gossip site later and sure enough there was another post about Mr. Lighty. The new post was centered on the reactions of his friends and business colleagues to news of his death and unfortunately that did nothing to satisfy my curiosity and I took matters into my own hands. After going to different websites and keeping my ears open to any Chris Lighty news, I got to learn more about the man. Here is what I learned:

  •  In the days when it was practically impossible to get hip hop artists booked at night clubs, arenas or even get hip hop played on pop radio stations, Chris Lighty was working behind the scenes to make sure it happened and was successful. 
  • When advertisers thought it was risky to have hip hop artists advertise established brands, Chris Lighty made sure LL Cool J got a deal with the Gap and made sure Busta Rhymes and A Tribe Called Quests got early deals with soda companies. 
  • Chris Lighty was the man that negotiated 50 Cent’s $100 million deal with Vitamin Water. 
  • He managed and helped manage the careers of the biggest names in entertainment such as 50 Cent, Missy Elliot, Mariah Carey, Busta Rhymes, Nas, and Diggy Simmons. The group Three Six Mafia was managed by him when they became the only Rap Artists (apart from Eminem) to win an Academy Award for Best Original Song. 
  • In addition to being a manager, he was also known as a fixer and a crisis negotiator.
I learned the above and much more and finally understood how much of a big deal he was.  I finally understood why music industry insiders, artists and executives reacted the way they did when news of his death broke.  

Death most times is harsh  and definitely not a respecter of persons.  That fact was further ingrained in my psyche yesterday, September 3rd. 



Yesterday, I was at a Labor Day hangout and found myself fiddling with my phone while others were engrossed in a game of Jackpot.  Boredom demanded I check my email and I decided to check my yahoo inbox for possible new mail and discovered that actor Michael Clarke Duncan had died.  Words involuntarily escaped my lips to express my shock.  I haven't had the pleasure of watching any of the Oscar nominated actor's movies but one attribute of Michael Clarke Duncan I won't soon forget is his endearing smile.  I loved watching him smile and laugh during interviews.  I pray God comforts his loved ones.  I can't even imagine how his fiancee, Omarosa Manigualt-Stallworth must feel.  They planned to get married soon. *sigh*

May their souls rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment