Sunday, July 15, 2012

Change





On July 1, 2012, I watched the BET awards like I’ve done for six years or so. I remember thinking a plethora of thoughts as I watched the show including how much I missed the 2005 BET awards. That was the year Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith hosted the show. In other words, I wasn’t a big fan of the show.  Although, I must admit, I enjoyed watching Brandy Norwood pay tribute to her friend and mentor, Whitney Houston. It was a highlight for me because Brandy isn’t a confident performer but she put her all in that performance.  It was great to see her out of her shell.  Facing a fear isn’t really something that is done easily, and she faced one of fears that day. But that’s not the point of this post. Change is.



They say one thing that is constant in life is change.  That thought crossed my mind when the camera focused on Ray J and his mother seated somewhere in the audience that wasn’t in the first, second or third row.  Meanwhile the notorious Kim Kardarshian was chilling in the first row with with Jay Z, Kanye West and Beyonce. Six years ago, that wouldn’t have happened.  As the cameras kept focusing on the front row, I thought about how I didn’t know who Kim Kardarshian was until she did a sex tape with Ray J.  I was in Graduate School when the tape “leaked”. Then, everyone referred to her as one of Paris Hilton’s best friends.  I still didn’t know who she was because at that time, the only individual I associated with Paris Hilton (apart from her sister, Nicky) was Nicole Ritchie.



After the sex tape, Kim gained some popularity but was not quite known in all of America.  She gained some more popularity when she posed naked for playboy magazine.  I even remember Ray J and Brandy saying some not-so-nice things about her. Fast forward to 2012 and Kim Kardarshian and her family are arguably part of American pop culture.   Kim Kardarshian is the face of countless products, constantly on the cover of numerous magazines and currently worth millions of dollars.  She will soon be a star in one of Tyler Perry’s movies.  How things change.



I went to bed thinking about her and where she is now.  I also thought about how one can never be too sure about their current situation and the importance of never putting any one down.  Things change.  Years ago Ray J and Brandy didn’t have nice things to say about Kim but the other day, I saw Brandy on a show saying how much she missed Kim as a friend.  I think she said that because she is starring in the same Tyler Perry movie as Kim. I bet she didn’t know years ago that one day Kim would be who she is now.  I’m by no means blowing Kim’s trumpet.  I have my reservations about her but that is not the point of this post. I just think we all need to be careful how we relate to others because one day, that person that may seem insignificant may be the one deciding something that is catalyst to our future.



If you’re reading this sentence, I’d like to say welcome to my blog and thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. Hey babes! I like ur blog! Informative! Keep doing ur thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Miss Joy! Thanks so much for reading and commenting! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heeeeey!! I came across your blog and I like it. I guess the reason why no one comments is because you didn't allow anonymous comments:/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Izzie. Thanks for the compliment and thanks for taking the time to comment as well. So, you weren't able to comment anonymously? Let me see if I can change that.

    ReplyDelete