Tuesday, August 13, 2013

QUOTE

"Break the unreasonable down into little reasonable chunks. A big goal is only achieved when every little thing that you do every day gets you closer to that goal."
- Maren Kate 


I recently watched an interview with Gloria Estefan on Oprah's Next Chapter where she talked about her career and a life changing accident she was involved in. It happened in March of 1990 when her tour bus was hit by semi truck on a Pennsylvania highway. Esteban broke her back and doctors told her she was probably never going to walk and perform again, or even have another child.

She said the following regarding that phase of her life and how she overcame some of the challenges of that period of her life:

On not wanting to be confined to a wheelchair:
"My dad was in a wheelchair so I was clear that I was going to do everything in my power not to be in a wheelchair. If I had to end up there, fine, I was going to. But I knew what it meant for the family so it made my physical therapy easier to take and I spent six or seven hours a day, added some weight because I knew this was the kind of commitment it would take.
"I have never been a person that likes people waiting on me and if I want something, I'll get up and get it, when I could not do anything on my own, I could not get myself out of the chair...I couldn't bathe. I was dependent on someone every moment. And Emilio was there 1000%. It was an amazing experience just starting over."

On setting little goals to accomplishing that big goal of walking again:
"I never thought that I could find the kind of discipline that I needed to find. I had talked myself into getting out of bed each morning because I knew that if I didn't get out of bed, (cause it was much more comfortable just to lay there) and take two more steps...I would make each day a different goal - a couple of steps further, little tiny things - so that I could accomplish something. I just made very little goals, and I have kind of translated that into life and I have tried to pass it down to my kids, I go 'yes, you should have things that you dream, but set yourself goals that you can accomplish right away, little by little, make that stepping stones.'

I was really inspired by her story and thought to share a part of her story with the quote above. Accomplishing some of my goals are sometimes a challenge for me because sometimes I just get exhausted thinking about all accomplishing them would require. I'm inspired to try to accomplish a little at a time and hopefully get to where I want to be.

Per Estefan, she did accomplish her goal of walking and dancing again and yes, she did have another child, a daughter, who will be going to college soon.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment