Sunday, August 19, 2012

(NAIJA) STAR!!

ADESOLA OSAKALUMI


If you are like me, then you probably get excited when you come across Nigerians (and individuals with a Nigerian heritage) that showcase their talents in different ways and are successful (or striving to be successful) at what they do. It’s a different kind of excitement when I come across Nigerians in America that are doing the same. 
I was (hardly) working when I came across an article about “Fela!” star Adesola Osakalumi.



Adesola Osakalumi is the current star of the award winning Broadway Musical “Fela!” produced by Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter, Will Smith, and Jada Pinkett-Smith about the legendry Nigerian musician and political activist Fela Anikulapo Kuti.  You might argue that Adesola was somehow destined for his role in the musical because his parents knew Fela personally.  They helped distribute Fela’s music in the United States.  In an interview with Essence.com, Adesola said, "my father and uncles did business with Fela. I did get to meet him once in passing. I didn't say anything, but he was very charismatic and very focused,” and added “It's a strange and ironic connection. Sometimes you're involved in things and you don't know what that next step will be, but it looks like some steps were ordained in advance.”

Other Facts about Adesola Osakalumi:

·         His mother was a principle dancer with Africa I Dance Theater, a touring company founded by his uncles and subsequently joined by his father.

·         He fell in love with dancing at a young age and has choreographed and danced for many commercials and for celebrities such as Mariah Carey and Usher.

·         His film credits include Idlewild and Sex and the City 2.

Hopefully, one of these days, I’ll get to see “Fela!” and maybe get to see him in action.  Adesola hopes to get more opportunities in T.V. and film and I personally hope to see and hear more about him showcasing his talents.  I shall definitely be on the lookout for him and will not hesitate to give him a shout out on my blog. J In the meantime, you can check out his website here.

Speaking of Fela the legend, one day I was waiting in line at Chipotle when I heard of songs playing at the restaurant. It was a pleasant surprise.
Has anyone seen “Fela!” on broadway?









2 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my blog. As a fellow entertainment enthusiast, you are cool in my book. added to blog roll! :D

    ReplyDelete